N. Tucson Blvd. Suite 9
Tucson, AZ 85716-3450
Phone: (800) 635-1196
Hotline: (800) 419-4777
of American Physicians and Surgeons, Inc.
A Voice for Private Physicians Since 1943
Omnia pro aegroto
Covered v. Non-covered Entity Under HIPAA
YOU ARE A COVERED ENTITY IF YOU DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
YOU MUST MEET ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS TO BE A NONCOVERED ENTITY:
- You transmit any protected health information electronically after April 14, 2003.
- You sign an agreement agreeing to be a covered entity.
- You sign a certification stating that you are a covered entity.
- No "protected health information" is transmitted electronically outside your office.
(The records in your office may all be paper; or you may keep them in a computer. It is the electronic transmission that makes you a1) covered entity.
- You file no claims via electronic transmittal, nor do you engage a billing service or clearinghouse to file claims on your behalf – including private and Medicare claims.
- You have not volunteered to become a covered entity by contract or certification.